by: Melissa Luna
EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) – The Binational Breastfeeding Coalition (BBC) will hold a press conference on Monday, August 20 to celebrate the nonprofit organization’s 10th anniversary.
The BBC will hold a press conference to celebrate its 10th anniversary on Monday, August 20 from 10 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. at El Paso Health located at 1145 Westmoreland Dr., El Paso, Texas 79925. Lactation experts from Ciudad Juárez, El Paso and Las Cruces will provide an overview of programs and initiatives as well as the current state of breastfeeding along the border.
“The BBC was established in February 2012 by a small group of women determined to increase the intention, initiation and duration of exclusive breastfeeding for at least the first 6 months of life of infants who reside
along the US-Mexico border.
The five main areas of action of the BBC are said to be:
- Outreach – (Community Outreach, Big Latch On)
- Health promotion – (Breastfeeding Welcome initiatives, Breastfeeding in Public practices)
- Education – for healthcare professionals and families
- Research- (published articles, presentations)
- Environmental and political change – (mother-friendly institutions and workplaces, alliances with baby-friendly hospitals, breast milk banks and depots)